TOPIC: SPIRITUAL BREAKTHROUGH
SUNDAY SCHOOL HYMN
1. O Sunday School, on the Lord’s day,
O how I love Thee well,
I am happy, it makes me glad
To rejoice at Thy birth.
2. O Sunday School, on the Lord’s day,
Thy friendship suits me well,
Both young and old will sing Thy song,
We long for Sunday School.
3. O Sunday School, on the Lord’s day,
Christ was Thy first teacher,
The Holy Spirit, great teacher,
Does manifest in thee.
4. O Sunday School, on the Lord’s day,
This testimony is sure,
That God, the Father Almighty,
Poured His blessing on Thee.
5. O Sunday School, on the Lord’s day,
Though the sun be so bright,
Or if the clouds be black with rain,
I’ll be in Sunday School.
6. O Sunday School, on the Lord’s day,
I rejoice to see Thee,
Will thou pass over me today?
Without my being blest?
“And when the sons of the prophets which were to view at Jericho saw him, they said, The spirit of Elijah doth rest on Elisha. And they came to meet him, and bowed themselves to the ground before him”. 2 Kings 2:15
BIBLE PASSAGE: Acts 9:1-9
1. And Saul, yet breathing out threatenings and slaughter against the disciples of the Lord, went unto the high priest,
2. And desired of him letters to Damascus to the synagogues, that if he found any of this way, whether they were men or women, he might bring them bound unto Jerusalem.
3. And as he journeyed, he came near Damascus: and suddenly there shined round about him a light from heaven:
4. And he fell to the earth, and heard a voice saying unto him, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me?
5. And he said, Who art thou, Lord? And the Lord said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest: it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks.
6. And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do? And the Lord said unto him, Arise, and go into the city, and it shall be told thee what thou must do.
7. And the men which journeyed with him stood speechless, hearing a voice, but seeing no man.
8. And Saul arose from the earth; and when his eyes were opened, he saw no man: but they led him by the hand, and brought him into Damascus.
9. And he was three days without sight, and neither did eat nor drink.
Generally speaking, a spiritual breakthrough is an experience of a new and unprecedented level of spiritual state/status. 2 Kings 2:11-15.
In Christian circles, a spiritual breakthrough can be described as a time when a person is saved, gains a deeper understanding of biblical truth, receives answers to prayers, or wins over a besetting sin. John 8:32. Read – Read – Open Heavens 13 April 2019
The idea of a breakthrough suggests a preceding struggle that finally peaks and finds resolution. Acts 9:1-9.
1. BIBLICAL INSTANCES
2. HOW TO EXPERIENCE IT
OUTLINE 1:BIBLICAL INSTANCES
i. The Pentecost experience. Acts 2:3-14.
ii. Saul of Tarsus’ encounter with Jesus. Acts 9:1-9.
iii. The answer to Daniel’s prayers. Dan. 10:11-13.
iv. Elisha’s anointing. 2 Kings 2:9-15.
v. The removal of the curse placed on the city of Jericho. Joshua 6:26; 2 Kings 2:19-22.
vi. The Apostles’ working of miracles. Acts 5:15-16; 19:11-12.
vii. Peter’s experience on the roof top. Acts 10:9-15.
OUTLINE 2:HOW TO EXPERIENCE IT
A breakthrough is not a coincidence. It takes place in the life of those who have been carefully selected by God. God chooses whoever He wills (Psalm 115:3). He can show mercy on anyone as He pleases (Rom. 9:15-16).
However, you have to be committed to God and live a sacrificial life (2 Kings 2:1-14). The Apostles went an extra mile for God and got their spiritual breakthroughs. You must be willing to pray fervently, fast and persevere ( Matt. 17:21; James 5;17-18).
You must be ready to endure to the end focusing your attention on the Lord Jesus Christ and the things that are heavenly (Heb. 12:1-2).Making it to Heaven is a spiritual breakthrough (John 14:1-6).
Spiritual breakthrough is the mother of all breakthroughs as it depicts the believers’ access into the spiritual realm to control the physical. John 3:27.
1. Mention biblical instances of spiritual breakthroughs.
2. How can you experience spiritual breakthrough?
For Further Reading : 2 Kings 2:15; Acts 9:4; Romans 7:24-25; John 14:1-3.
Class should meet for at least one (1) this week and pray for spiritual breakthrough of members.